Last call, y’all! Hopefully you’re following me on social media or have sign up for the mail list so you know already that the March FitCamp starts MONDAY! So get on over to the FitCamps page and sign up! You’ll get the download guide with workouts, recipes, nutrition info, demo videos, access to the March FitCamp Facebook group and online coaching through it all!
Do you know what to eat before and after your workout? This is a popular question from people just starting out in their fitness journey. Getting your diet on point is a science and any custom to you plans should be created by a registered dietician/nutritionist (remember that!) but there are some general tips and tricks I can share with you to get you started!
What To Eat:
Before – Carbs! Carbs are your friends. I know you’ve heard that carbs are bad and should be avoided if you want to lose weight but I promise, you want a little carbs in your life. Carbs = ENERGY. Good carbs (whole grains/wheats, fruits) turn into the energy your muscles need to push you through a killer workout. You should eat a little something 30-90 minutes before you workout like toast with PB and banana, some oatmeal with berries, crackers or rice cakes.
After – Protein! Protein is what is going to help your muscles repair themselves and grow. When you workout (especially strength train) you make tiny tears in your muscles. Protein helps repair these tears. The sooner you get in some protein after your workout, the better! Some ideas of good protein sources are protein shakes or bars (be really careful they aren’t full of sugar!), lean meats like chicken or fish, eggs, or Greek yogurt.
There ya go! A quick reminder of what to eat before and after your workout. Carbs = Energy, Protein = Repair. Energy before, repair after.
To lose weight you have to cut calories. Burn more than you eat. So much easier said than done, right? Nutrition is the most important part of a fitness program and also probably the hardest. The whole process can seem a little daunting but I’ve put together a list of five easy things you can start doing right now that will save you tons of calories every day!
5 ways to cut calories:
1. Drink water: Replacing other beverages through the day with water can save big time! Swap out all sodas, teas, and other sugary drinks with water and see how you feel in a week! Fancy up your water with this recipe!
2. Don’t eat the kid food: No more eating the left overs off of the kids plate. No more finishing their crusts. Nadda. How many calories each day go to snacking on toddler left overs?
3. Write it down: Use My Fitness Pal, a FitBook, or just a regular inexpensive spiral notebook. Write down and track every single thing you put in your mouth. It may sound excessive but most of the time you don’t realize how much you are really snacking through out the day. Writing it down will show you your full food intake. And also, knowing you have to write it down will help keep you accountable!
4. Measure condiments: Keep a set of measuring spoons and cups handy. Measure out your dips, sauces, and dressings. You’re probably using a lot more than the serving size suggests!
5. Slow down! This is hard to do once you reach hangry status so try to eat before you cross that line! Chew slowly. Set your fork or food down between bites while you take time to chew and swallow. This will give your stomach/brain a chance to realize what’s going on and let you know when you’re full. That way you don’t stuff your face at top speed and then feel terrible 10 minutes later.