The last time I went shopping I grabbed a little container of egg whites. I also got a ton of eggs and found I wasn’t really using the whites at all so I got searching. I ended up using the carton to make little egg bites! And it was so easy. SO. easy. And good too. Like little bites of savory protein waiting for you in the freezer.
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350*
- Get a mini muffin tin and spray it with something nonstick (coconut oil/Pam…whatever)
- Dice up some veggies. I used those little sweet peppers, onions, and some spinach/kale mix.
- Put a tiny bit of the veggies in each cup. I did one pan all peppers/onions and another with the spinach mix.
- Fill cup with egg whites (about 1tbs)
- I felt like the spinach ones needed something else so I shook some Mrs Dash on top (YUM)
- Bake for 20-25ish minutes or until centers are cooked.
- Let cool, pop in a ziplock bag and freeze until you want them!
I ate some of these the other day for my afternoon snack along with some toast. Since a pan makes 12 minis I broke it up on My Fitness Pal into 3 servings (4 egg bites) and here’s what it gave me…
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 102 mg||4 %|
|Potassium 127 mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1 g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0 g||1 %|
|Sugars 0 g|
|Protein 7 g||14 %|
|Vitamin A||5 %|
|Vitamin C||11 %|
When you’re ready to eat them just wrap them in a paper towel and microwave on a plate. Start at a minute, flip, adjust, check, go again for another 30sec – 1min until they’re hot. Add some hot sauce (optional of course) and dig in!