It happened, y’all. I drank the Kool Aid…er… green smoothie. I was very ‘meh’ about the whole green breakfast smoothies thing for a long time. They don’t keep me full, blenders are a hassle to clean, I like to CHEW my food!
You guys. It works. I might not follow the Fab 4 recipes to a T. Sometimes I add more fruit or less fat but in general, I’ve been super happy!
This is how my average smoothie goes:
- 1 cup/handful of spinach. I buy bags of fresh spinach and store them in the freezer.
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup fruit. Sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen. Depending on what I have. Most days its the left over half banana from the kid’s waffles.
- 1 scoop protein powder. Whatever I had at the time. This Optimum Nutrition protein came from Target. I like their Gold Standard too that I usually order from Amazon*.
- 1 scoop collagen. Again, from Target. I prefer the flavorless kind because it also mixes great with coffee and doesn’t make it taste weird.
- 1/2 – 1 cup liquid. Sometimes I’ll use unsweetened coconut milk, sometimes just water.
- Seeds. Either Chia or Flax (seeds or ground). 2ish tablespoons.
- Peanut butter. Because this makes everything better. I use PB2 sometimes but feel the fat in regular peanut butter helps keep me fuller longer.
You can also toss in avocado for your fat if you do use PB2. If makes the smoothie extra creamy! Life hack – dice up avocados and freeze them in ice trays or on a cookie sheet. Frozen avocado turns into steel so the smaller the easier to blend 😉
Mix up your greens! I’m just a creature of habit but you can add in whatever you like! Also, on the topic of blender hassle… I jumped on a Nutri Ninja on sale about a month ago and it has been life changing! SO much easier to clean and use than my full size Ninja blender. When something is EASY, you’ll do it.
The mix of fat and protein in these smoothies help keep me full through my wacky straight through lunch time work schedule. And I didn’t have to chew anything to make me happy.
Now to make the perfect pumpkin version!
*FYI – this post contains a couple Amazon affiliate links. If you happen to click and buy something I might make a few scents 🙂
Do you do green smoothies? What are your favorite recipes that I should try?? Let me know!